Welcome to the website of the Royal Navy Golfing Society (RNGS). The site provides information to members and potential members about the Society and its activities, past, current and planned.
Most or all of you will by now be aware of the Prime Minister’s 22 Feb roadmap for relaxing Covid-19 restrictions and of its implications for the return of golf in England. The Committee has been looking at the likely effects on RNGS fixtures, and at what can be done to minimise the loss of society golf this year. The roadmap envisages the following steps:
- Mon 29 March (Step 1) – Fourball golf permitted. No catering, but takeaways may be provided.
- Mon 12 April (Step 2) – Fourball golf permitted. No indoor catering. Outdoor catering subject to Rule of 6.
- Mon 17 May (Step 3) – Fourball golf permitted. Indoor catering subject to Rule of 6. Outdoor catering subject to a maximum of 30 people.
- Mon 21 Jun – All restrictions end.
With this in mind:
- The Spring Meeting at Liphook has been postponed and will become the Centenary Meeting, to be held at Liphook on Wed 25 and Thur 26 August, with the Centenary Dinner following play on Thursday 26. (A revised application form is attached. Payments already made with Spring Meeting applications will be refunded.)
- The Huntercombe match (16 April) has been postponed to Thursday 29 July, concurrent with the East Devon match. Nick Harris, the MM, is in touch with previous applicants.
- The Scottish Tour in late May has been cancelled, after consultation with the members who had applied, due to the number of uncertainties involved.
- The Marches Tour has been moved from 25/26 Aug to Wed 11 Aug (South Herefordshire) and Thur 12 Aug (Ross-on-Wye)
- For the remaining matches before 21 Jun (FAAOGS, THUR, BIGB, BROK, RAGS, RAFG) match managers are liaising with host clubs to see under what conditions, if any, matches might be permitted. Further information will be promulgated by email and on the website as the situation becomes clearer.
The Secretary has circulated the 2021 Fixture List to all members by email, together with the forms for applying for the Spring, Summer and Autumn Meetings and the Captain’s Report, promising ‘sunnier golfing uplands’ in the coming year. (Members should note the error in the emailed fixture list which incorrectly places the 23 June Summer Meeting on Tuesday instead of Wednesday).
The Captain and Committee join in wishing members a happy and successful New Year .?